Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Gothic Architecture Class

Gothic Architecture. Oh, Dr. Oldfield. He was a good teacher. He was hilarious, although he began swearing on the first day of class and never stopped after that. He was always beating up on the system--liked to stick it to the man. He was always early for class so that he could prepare and greet us as we came in. Good class.

I've been done with the Gothic Architecture for a while now, but I figure I should probably write about the class a bit before the summer is over.

First of all, I genuinely enjoyed it. It wasn't a lot of work, but I still managed to learn a lot. I loved all the field trips we did. Here's all the churches we got to see:

1) St. Bene't and Little St. Mary's.
2) Kings College Chapel
3) Great St. Mary's and St. Botolph's.
4) Saint John's Chapel and Corpus Cristi Chapel
5) All Saint's Church
6) Catholic Church of our Lady and the English Martyrs
7) Ely Cathedral

And that's all of the field trips that I can remember. Dr. Oldfield had us analyzing churches from our very first field trip. He was very patient with us, and by the end, we had gotten much better at picking out architectural details. I notice buildings much more now. If it's medieval gothic, I can usually date whether it's early, middle, or late. I can tell where renovation/rebuilding might have occurred. I can recognize and appreciate neogothic buildings--and everything that the Gothic Revival entails-- religiously, socially, and politically.

As I was doing my research for my final paper, I realized exactly how much I had learned. That paper took me forever to write, but considering that it was our only real assignment besides our midterm/final, it wasn't too bad. That bad boy had fifteen sources. Needless to say, as I was piecing the entire puzzle together, I realized the momentous-ness of what I was doing. I was analyzing St. Giles' Church. In one paper, I had to utilize everything I had learned in the entire class. I felt like a detective. It was cool. Even though the process of inserting and citing photos in microsoft word was frustrating enough to make me want to mutter rather (really) loud angry nothings to my computer in the very very quiet Kings Library.

I'm not sure what my grade is in the class. I don't know what I got on that paper--and I don't know how I did on the final. One hour to write two essays that decide almost 50% of your grade is super intimidating and timed essays were never my strong point. But here's to hoping for the best! And if nothing else, I'm glad I took the class just because of how much I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment