Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

you say goodbye and i say hello.

what i really really mean is....
goodbye, spain.
but oh, hel-LO france.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

this post is kind of helter-skelter. mostly saying goodbye to spain. so that afterwards, i can mostly concentrate on just saying hello, which is just the way i like it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

i’m on the train on the way to france. i have my entire life for the next two months in my 26” suitcase, a backpack, and a purse—and it’s finally sinking in that i’m leaving spain. it’s been such a fantastic experience. here are a few of the reasons why.

1) i’ve had the opportunity to talk to so many people and to hear their stories. as i've talked to people off the street, chatted with our family, hung out with alex, i've realized more than ever  that all of them have unique stories that separate them from me as individuals, but still connect us more than ever as people.

2) i’ve learned to appreciate art and architecture so much more. taking a class on spanish history/culture/architecture/art, being able to see so many art museums and countless cathedrals and palaces, and just talking about it all, has helped me so much. i feel like i’m a more cultured, rounded person now—and i like it. i like having an opinion on art and being able to talk about it (at least a little bit). i’m super pumped for my class on gothic architecture at cambridge now.

3) i’ve made some amazing friends. my directors, my roommate, the entire study-abroad group, my family here…they are all SUCH amazing people. i can’t imagine my experience without them, and i can’t wait to see them again in provo once fall semester starts.

4) i’ve learned more about me. all of these things and much much more have made me realize more about who i am and what i want out of life. or at least what i don’t want out of of life. and that’s all i’ll say about that. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

looking back, we've traveled all over spain. here's a succinct summary of all the cities we've visited. lucky us.

1)  Alcalá de Henares
2) Madrid
3) Toledo
4) Segovia
5) Cuenca
6) Valencia
7) Ávila
8) Salamanca
9) Los Molinos de Don Quijote
10) La Mancha
11) Córdoba
12) Sevilla
13) Granada
14) Barcelona
15) Montserrat
16) Bilbao
17) San Sebastián
18) Biarritz
19) Saint Jean de Luz
20) Burgos


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i’m glad to leave…
-some of the seafood 
-small drinks that aren’t refillable
-copious amounts of olive oil on everything. EVERYTHING.

that's about it. everything else i don't like about europe, i'll have to face for the next two months (breathing second-hand smoke all the time, the euro vs. the dollar, etc.) so there's just no sense in singling out poor spain.


i’ll miss...
-our English class. seriously, teaching this class was so much fun. unfortunately, i never took a picture of the class :( 
-fanta (naranja & limon)
-alex. he's our columbian buddy. mostly, we just eat and talk and eat some more.
alex, me and columbian empanadas.
-español. i've been in france for five hours so far and i'm already missing spanish. ahhhh.
-alcalá feeling like home. it was an amazing feeling. and now i'm gone :(
-la familia. our spanish family was seriously...SO fantastic. i will miss them tons and tons.
me with paco and irene on our patio
-ice cream. chocolate con dulce de leche, por fa.


-paella (my spanish mom's paella...it blows me away. every time we eat it. every single time.
-el grupo
couldn't find a picture of the entire group...
but here are most of the girls. + spencer.
can't even tell you how great these people are.
-flamenco. yes. flamenco. oh, flamenco.
being flamenco dancers.
or posers.
your choice
.-regalices con pica pica. spanish candy is my fave.
-traveling every weekend. despite hours on that miserable bus...it was worth it. 
-and finally....um,

Mom, here's where you should stop reading.

-i just might miss my hair. because i CHOPPED it off. maybe the most spontaneous decision i've ever made. i don't know how i went from wanting a mere trim to get rid of split ends to cutting off all my hair.
Haley, you'd be proud. 

me in our hostel room in marseille.
i knew you'd keep reading, mom. sorry about losing the long hair. i wasn't sure what to think at first either...
but honestly, right now i'm liking it. a lot.
 my time in hostel showers is a quarter of the time i used to need to shower. plus, it's been really hot. and don't worry, my hair grows fast. :)

3 comments:

  1. Emily! I actually really love your hair. I'm sometimes skeptical about shorter hair but you pull it off! Way fun! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look really cute! Don't worry about me. It is your dad who doesn't like your short hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O my goodness it's all gone!!! You're so brave, I love it!

    ReplyDelete