Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Nice, France. Love.

We left Marseille at around 8:30. Katelyn had had a rather traumatic night--she found another of the same bugs on her pillow, she showed it to the lady at the desk, and then she had to sleep on the couch. The couch bit was totally fine, but the lady also wanted to wash all of Katelyn's clothes, just in case. Katelyn said okay, and while she was sleeping, the lady washed and dried EVERYTHING Katelyn had in her suitcase. Thus, a good part of the morning was spent folding clothes and repacking everything. 

We got on the train headed toward Nice. The train ride was BEAUTIFUL. We were riding through the countryside--green mountains, fields of crops, wildflowers--and also next to the coast--blue blue blue sparkling water. Southern France is truly beautiful. 

We got to Nice a little after noon--and I just KNEW I was going to like it. 

We're staying at a little bed and breakfast and it's only costing us as much as a hostel would. That means we have our own cozy little room and it's just lovely. Plus, we get a good breakfast in the morning. I'm already excited. (interesting note: we have playboy bunny themed blankets and pillowcases. I had to resist the urge to snicker when I saw them.)

uh....
haha?
We settled in for a bit, and then left to explore nice. Oh boy, do I love nice. When I was a little girl, I used to love the book Little Women, and I felt just like Amy (she gets to go to Nice on a Europe trip and she absolutely loves it).
just a tiny taste of Nice.
it's so cute and colorful and bright and wonderful!
We were hungry, so we walked around, looking for the perfect lunch. We settled on crepes. Nutella crepes to be exact. They were absolutely delicious. We watched the lady make them and the crepes were basically a plateful of chocolaty, melt-in-your-mouth, warm, chewy goodness.

huge fan of nutella crepes right here.
We spent the rest of the afternoon just exploring the city. We walked down many a street and then finally came to the beach. So beautiful. Too bad it's so rocky. It was packed with people though, so we didn't actually go down to the water. (No worries, we went again later.)

Nice is one charming little place and I definitely enjoyed my afternoon wandering around. Here are a couple pictures.

snapshots of the city.


Happy Father's Day, Dad!
I love you!
pretty park that we passed through.
beach in Nice.
Don't be fooled by how pretty it looks.
It's gorgeous.
But so rocky.
Everything closed around four, so we decided to go back to the bed&breakfast to rest for a little bit and then go back later to get some dinner. We rested for about an hour, and then headed back.

I was craving somethings spicy with lots of flavor (Spanish food is good, but is most certainly not spicy). We found an Indian restaurant that had a meal for only six euros. That is SUCH a big deal--positively cheap (and I NEVER thought I'd hear myself calling an eight dollar meal "cheap," but trust me, here it is). And not only was it cheap, it hit the spot like nothing else. SO GOOD. 
me with my deliciously spicy indian food.
And the night got even better. Look.

gelato!! we'll have some in italy too, no worries.
flavors? strawberry and nutella.
best combo eva.
Then we walked to the beach to watch the sunset. It was a lovely evening.

Katelyn and I taking a piiicture.
see what i mean about rocky beach?
We finished our ice cream, waded in the water, watched the sunset, and then decided we should meander back home (we have to leave our hostel at 6:30 tomorrow morning to catch our train). so we did.

I'm a little sad to leave already. but Florence, here we come!

1 comment:

  1. I just love to read your blogs...i feel like I am traveling along with you. Emily, you look really really cute with your short hair.

    ReplyDelete