Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

throwing a glance over my shoulder

allll the way back to the year of 2011. This post is late. I know. By almost a week.

But I still wanted to give 2011 a shoutout. It's been a challenging one, but still one of the best years of my life. Easily. This year was a year of firsts. I went to Europe for the first time (which in and of itself, presents a plethora of firsts). I also ran my first relay race. Got the first B of my life put on my transcript. Hiked Mount Timp. Went to San Francisco. TA-ed a class. Became a research assistant. Bought a car. I've learned a lot and grown a lot and lived a lot. Last year I made a couple resolutions, and I just now revisited them. Mostly, I realized again how much I suck at keeping New Year's resolutions. Oops.

I didn't volunteer at the MTC every month. I didn't run a marathon. I never tried going to salsa club (haha). I didn't read Les Mes. I didn't get straight A's. I didn't stick with the 19.5 credits, and ended up dropping a class.  However, no worries, I did accomplish at least a few of my goals from last year. I finished a successful year of Choose to Give, and I drink a lot more water than I used to. I talked to my family regularly and I got decent grades. I also finished the Book of Mormon in Spanish as well as Mere Christianity. I stuck to the grocery list--especially when Haley and I had this healthy-eating dinner/lunch gig going on. I blogged pretty frequently this past year. I've smiled more times than I can count this year--and I experienced Europe in an unbelievably wonderful four month span of time, during which I was constantly inspired by art, music, literature, cuisine, language, and culture.

Last year, I wrote this:

"I think I'm going to focus on two general philosophies this year. First, to live life like crazy. I had a bishop talk once to all of us young people about living life like crazy, about appreciating every moment, about making every second count. That really hit home. Life's too short to spend it just existing. Second, to go the extra mile. To go the extra mile when I'm running, studying, working--to go the extra mile in life."

And honestly, I think that's what made 2011 such an AMAZING year. I really did try to appreciate every moment, to live the life that I knew I wanted to live. I've made some wonderful wonderful friends this year that definitely helped me to keep my sanity. I've also had fantastic roommates--even though Haley is leaving me to go to Spain this winter semester! I miss her already, but I'm sure she'll have a wonderful time. Seriously, looking back, I've been so incredibly blessed with the opportunities that have come my way. It has been a life-changing twelve months.

It's a swell time to be alive!!
Now I'm looking forward to 2012. I can feel it in my bones--it's going to be a good year. I've already got some pretty great goals lined up. But that's for the next post.

1 comment: