Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

New year. New resolutions.

New Year's resolutions and I have had our good moments and our bad. On one hand, I found them helpful but amusing. On the other, rather discouraging--especially when you break them only three weeks after you've made them. Maybe they were just a habitual occurrence every January 1st. Or I thought--maybe they had the potential to be year-changing.

Now I look at them as opportunities to get things right this time around. And maybe they won't be kept throughout the year--but kudos to whoever makes them for trying. Maybe you won't keep them. But sure as heck you're more likely to keep them than if you had decided it was hopeless to begin with. In that spirit, here are a couple of my goals for this upcoming year. I can't guarantee I'll accomplish all of them. But you can bet that I will do my best to try.

1. Stay on top of things for Choose to Give.
2. Volunteer at the MTC once a month.
3. Run a marathon.
4. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
5. Call my family regularly.
6. Go to salsa club.
7. Finish the Book of Mormon in Spanish.
8. Finish reading Mere Christianity.
9. Get good grades.
10. Stick to the shopping list at the grocery store.
11. Stay up to date with this blog.
12. Read Les Miserables.
13. Smile more, complain less.
14. Experience (not just see) Europe (I'll be making a separate list for this later).
15. Balance having a social life and getting sleep with working two jobs and taking 19.5 credit hours.

I think I'm going to focus on two general philosophies this year. First, to live life like crazy. I had a bishop talk once to all of us young people about living life like crazy, about appreciating every moment, about making every second count. That really hit home. Life's too short to spend it just existing. Second, to go the extra mile. To go the extra mile when I'm running, studying, working--to go the extra mile in life.

To all of you reading this:
May you get all your wishes but one,
So you always have something to strive for.
Irish saying

Seriously. Having something to work for, wish for, strive for is what gives purpose to life. So best of luck to all of you in your hopes, dreams, aspirations, and goals for this upcoming year.
2011 will be a year to remember.

1 comment:

  1. 19.5 credit hours!!! That's a huge commitment!!! Good Luck, I hope you're not taking all the hard required science classes next semester...

    ReplyDelete