Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

A San Franciscan Thanksgiving

I'm lucky enough to be in San Francisco this Thanksgiving. And while it's not like home and while I still have hours of homework ahead to be done this weekend, I have been loving every minute of it. 


Yesterday we spent the day travelin' around the city. And what a beautiful one it is. Urban and natural. More conservative me in a liberal place. Old and new. So many amazing moments&things. 


Of course, we went to the ocean. The part of the San Francisco beach that we visited was rocky. We stood on the ruins of bathhouses built in the 1920s and crossed our fingers that none of the waves would be quite high enough to touch us. 


The sea has always appealed to me. Something about how wild it
is on the surface and so infinitely peaceful underneath. 


Later that day as I was hanging off a cable car, with the wind whipping in my face and the sun settling into the crevices between the skyscrapers and the uneven roofs of quaint colorful flats, I knew that I loved the city. Not San Francisco, in particular, but the city. You know what I mean? I love the hustle and bustle, the vitality, the heritage, the stories, the diversity, the culture, the individuality. 

so anonymously personal.


I don't know if I'd live in the city indefinitely, but I can see myself living there for a couple years. Maybe after I graduate with my master's, I'll move to the big city and rent myself a little flat and work. And after a long day of work, I'd either stay in with a couple friends, or I'd go out with a couple friends. [running, art-appreciating, shopping, reading, walking, writing, snuggling, thinking, eating, traveling]. Either way, it'd be brilliant. 


Anyways, I'll write more about San Francisco and what we did later.


You know how I made that goal to finish Mere Christianity? Well, it's such a small book that it really shouldn't be that difficult at all...except for I keep forgetting about it. Nonetheless, it's a good one, and I'm almost there. Here's a little thought from that book, in honor of Thanksgiving.


"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing. If that is so, I must take care, on the one hand, never to despise, or be unthankful for, these earthly blessings, and on the other, never to mistake them for the something else of which they are only a kind of copy, or echo, or mirage. I must keep alive in myself the desire for my true country, which I shall not find till after death: I must never let it get snowed under or turned aside; I must make it the main object of life to press on to that other country and help others do the same."-C.S. Lewis.


There's no way to possibly list all my blessings. So I'd just like to say that I'm grateful for all my blessings, especially in the context of the bigger context. I am extremely thankful for all the little things, but hope that I never get so caught up with life that I begin to lose myself in them. I mean, after all, Thanksgiving is a time to not only remember your blessings, but to also remember the giver of those blessings. 


Happy Thanksgiving!


P.S. Family gets a special mention. You are the greatest. 

1 comment:

  1. beautifully written (AND beautiful photo!)
    hope you had the loveliest of thanksgivings in one of my favorite cities!

    ReplyDelete