Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

hanging--

"There are moments when a man's imagination, so easily subdued to what it lives in, suddenly rises above its daily level, and surveys the long windings of destiny. Archer hung there and wondered."
-The Age of Innocence.

I feel like those moments don't come often. That they come in brief snatches-- caught up in that instant before you lose yourself to sleep or in that first blast of cold air as you open the front door. That second-to-last step before you reach the summit of a mountain, that strangely detached moment just as you knowingly let yourself fall. In the first caress, the last blow, right before you flip the light switch--on, or off.

It's a little scary hanging there. Maybe even scarier to wonder. 
But exhilarating.

I find a piece to my puzzle every time one of those rare moments comes. When I was fifteen, I thought it'd be nothing more than a 25 piece puzzle. Now I realize that it's closer to one of those 5,000 piece ones. You know, the ones that sit on a coffee table in a basement surrounded by faded mustard yellow [or maybe floral] couches dating back to the seventies. 

The idea that it might never get done isn't so bad though. 
I actually kind of like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment