Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

lovin' on cambridge.

It's late at night, and really, I should be reading Henry IV right now.

Well, guess that can wait for a couple minutes. 

I just wanted to spill a couple things about Cambridge. I haven't been blogging too much about it--that's mostly because I don't have time. 

That's one thing about Cambridge. I feel like I'm always short on time. But you know, I don't mind so much now. There will always be too much to do here, too much to see. And maybe that's why Cambridge is so timeless.

My professors are brilliant and I'm really enjoying my classes. I feel like I'm regaining my love for learning, even though I never study nearly as much as I should. I'm taking two classes right now--Gothic Architecture and Reading Shakespeare. I love how much "do" there is in these classes. In my seminars for Gothic Architecture, we go to chapels all over Cambridge and he tells us to analyze them. And we do. That's the incredible thing--we're analyzing Gothic architecture. I didn't know a THING about architecture before, and I'm doing what? It's amazing! And I've always liked Shakespeare, but Cambridge is making me LOVE it. Really love it. We read a new play for every single class (hence having to finish another entire play tonight), but I'm enjoying it. Like, I really do not begrudge staying up till two tonight to finish Henry IV. Strange, huh. Yeah, I begrudge the sleep I lose, but while I'm reading, I'm enjoying myself.

The professors do a lot to make the classes really great. But even more than that, it's the people. I've met so many incredible people. Very very smart people and they just take the class to a whole new level with insightful comments and thoughts. And the program assistants? They're Cambridge students that are helping out with this PKP program, and they're some of the most friendly, helpful, funny people I've ever met.

I love the conversations I have here...where else do you discuss international politics, feminism, the U.S. economic system, early American literature, and educational systems/frameworks all in one day? With students my age, no less? It's like a big 'ol nerdfest and it's fantastic.

And my group of friends...I could go on and on about these people. We have the best times all the time and hence, the studying never gets done until very late at night. Like tonight...we all went to a plenary lecture on national defense (which was fascinating), and then went to Sainsbury's and got two liters of ice cream. We went back to Jenny's room and all sat in a big circle on the floor and ate ice cream, planned future Europe trips, tried to decide on how to dress up for Harry Potter tomorrow, and just talked for ages. Such great people.

And the gushing could go on and on, but in short, I love Cambridge.

Oh, and the other great thing about England--no bugs. They have no screens in the windows for this reason...and the other day, when our PA saw a bug, she thought it was so strange she took a picture of it. Boo-yah. 

p.s. HARRY POTTER MIDNIGHT SHOWING TOMORROW!!!!!! :) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment