Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Music Firsts

The first real CD I ever owned was a Hillary Duff CD. 

My first concert was an outdoors Boys Like Girls concert.


Hillary Duff and Boys Like Girls are not who I really want to talk about.

Firsts don’t really matter, unless you were actually in love.

So the first CD I ever fell in love with was Jack Johnson’s “Sleep Through the Static.”

A close friend in high school gave me a copy.

That was probably the CD that made my CD player give up the ghost. It was too much.

I didn’t even know music could be that good. I listened it when I was doing homework, when I was eating, when I was folding laundry, when I was cleaning, when I was doing nothing at all.

It’s still one of my favorite albums. People tell me his earlier stuff was better. I don’t care.

I have his earlier stuff, and I like it.

But nothing comes close to “Sleep Through the Static.” It was my first.

I didn’t start getting into live music until a couple of years ago. The Boys Like Girls was kind of a one-time deal during my high school years. But there was this one time I went to the Minneapolis Basilica Block Party last summer. I watched The Head and the Heart. This concert. I’ve liked live music for as long as I’ve been into it, but man. This concert. I fell in LOVE. I’m telling you, love.

Oh, people make fun of indie folk-y music and bands like The Head and the Heart, but I don’t care. I will forever love them.

They get a “Get out of jail free” card. You don’t desert people who’ve sung straight to your soul just because the going gets tough. I will forever stand next to them unless they somehow happened to 100% lose their musical integrity—like turn their back on the Holy Ghost of music kind of lose their integrity. They would have to descend into the depths of Nickelback and Ke$ha and stay there. And that’s when I would have to sadly walk away, heartbroken.

But until they do that, I’ll be there for them.

To be fair, I’m more a sentimental appreciator of music. Not a music critic.

But then, music’s meant to touch your soul, not your mind.

Yes.







So anyways, that’s why I’m sitting in a little hostel in Lilongwe, listening to “Sleep Through the Static” and The Head and the Heart tonight. They were my firsts, and I’m still digging them.

3 comments:

  1. Head and the Heart = BLISS
    Emily, I couldn't have put it better myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're still here even if you're gone from FB. I wholeheartedly agree with you on Kesha and Nickelback. And also yes, the right music is that music that creates an emotional connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's expressions like this that reaffirm why, and just how much I appreciate you Emily Dekam (as pronounced by Jose Luis).

    ReplyDelete