Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Finishing up Chicago

People either hate Chicago or love Chicago. The people who hate Chicago either 1) hate big cities in general, or 2) have never actually been to Chicago. Or maybe Chicago is like Paris. Where the people who hate it don't really have a reason, other than it's in France. Or they hate it because they're choosing to ignore the fabulous croissants, the to-die-for nutella banana crepes, the fabulousness of the museums, and/or the wonderful organ at Notre Dame to focus on mundane things such as the lack of drinking fountains, the subway system, or snobby people. 

I digress. What I mean to say: I'm a lover of Chicago. It seems rather facetious of me to say that, especially as I spent a grand total of three days there. Nonetheless, it's been five months now since I've been to Chicago, and I can't wait till I get to go again. 

Chicago makes the great ol' Midwest seem about 85% more exciting than it would be otherwise. I tell people I'm from West Michigan, and they usually say "What's Michigan?" (very rare--usually from foreign exchange students) or "Show me on your hand," (haha if I had a dollar for every time I've heard that) or "You know, I don't really know that much about Michigan" (most common response).

But when I reply, "Oh, I live about three hours of Chicago," people's eyes light up. Everybody's heard of Chicago, even if they haven't heard of Michigan. There's a reason everybody's heard of Chicago. Good or bad, take it or leave it.

Here are a couple* photos of the adventures that took place the third day there. That last day, before I had to take the train to the O'Hare airport, board my flight, and go to Provo, UT and start school.

*By "couple," I mean "fourteen." Just felt like I should be upfront and all. If photos aren't your thing, feel free to ignore and move on. 

The Beginning.
(of the Magnificent Mile).

The Magnificent Mile
The Magnificent Mile
aka the best shopping in the world.
The Magnificent Mile.
Stopped by the Ghiradelli's on the Mile to get some of the best Salted Caramel hot chocolate of my life.

Chinatown!

I went to Chinatown, where I walked around, ate some chow mein, and took a sad, sad picture of myself in the restaurant. When I eat alone in a restaurant, I am apparently reduced to taking pictures of myself with my phone.

The chow mein was good. Now I kind of wish I had been a bit more adventurous and ordered something that I'd never tried before.

Also, I was the only non-Asian person in the restaurant. And by non-Asian, I mean 50% white.

Passed on my walk from the train stop to the Frank Lloyd Wright Home.

Ernest Hemingway Museum
Frank Lloyd Wright Home and studio.
One of the only tours I've ever actually truly enjoyed.

First Chicago dog. Delish.

Double Door--music venue (kind of like Velour, but bigger)
After the concert. Outside of Double Door.
That winds up my first trip to the Windy City! 

1 comment:

  1. this is great post. thanks for your valuable info sharing here..

    "Chicago IT"

    ReplyDelete