Pages

Friday, December 9, 2011

Top Ten.

Provo promises... a not-so-white Christmas.

At least, that's the picture so far. The lack of snow is a little disconcerting. I'm still not sure whether to be thrilled or sad about that one. Whatta doozy. It makes Christmas feel like it's still a long ways away. But judging from the way my facebook newsfeed blew up this morning, there's definitely snow in Michigan now. Good good good.

Regardless of the fact that it's more of a winter wasteland here than a winter wonderland, I have a plethora of reasons for why I love the month of December anyways, in no particular order. 

1) All the trees in the JFSB quad. They're all lit up, and they make walking home from the library in the wee hours of the morning much more enjoyable.

2) Christmas music. Need I say more? Seriously. Listen to this gem. You've got to be a regular old Scrooge if this doesn't make you smile even a little bit. My It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year Pandora station is what gets me through finals.  #rockingaroundthechristmastree.


3) Tim Tam slams (Hot chocolate. Bite off opposite corners of Tim Tim. Use Tim Tam as straw. Pop in mouth once it starts to melt.). Sounds strange, but I don't know how I didn't discover these until this year. Needless to say, I will never forget sitting in Rob's kitchen with the Cambridge folk as we all tried one. So decadent. Casi transcendental.

pretend that's hot chocolate and not coffee.
you get the idea.
4) Ugly sweaters. I bought two in England, specifically for this time of year. You bet they're ugly. You bet I love them. They are shapeless and do your figure no favors, but they're warm and comfy and colorful.

5) Christmas trees. We don't have one in our apartment, but there's a plethora of them all around campus. So festive.

6) Reason for the season. I love reading the Christmas story, especially around this time of the year. I also love Christmas hymns. Christmas is a beautiful time of the year, if only because Christians all over the world are taking the time to remember, commemorate, and worship Christ.

7) Nice people. Seeing the Salvation Army people ringing their bells always makes me smile. I think people are more cheerful in December. More service-oriented.

8) Christmas movies. Elf. The Polar Express. Joyeux Noel (which I'm seeing tomorrow). Cheesy, happy, silly, inspiring, amazing.

9) Family. I love my family and family time. December is usually the only time I get to visit home, with the exception of a couple days during the summer (sometimes). There's nothing like turning into ye olde familiar driveway and seeing my dog run towards the car. My house is dab-smack in the middle of the woods, surrounded by huge pines covered in snow. It's clean and beautiful and home-y.

10) Accomplishment. For me, December also has this feeling of accomplishment. Finals get done somehow. A semester of learning has just been completed--a semester of class, work, and service. The year is almost over. Usually, I like to keep my focus future-forward. December is a little different. I like that feeling of looking back and seeing how many steps I've taken as opposed to how many I have left to go.

Well, Spanish and chemistry are practically screaming my name. Time to get back to work. Eight days until I am home. 

1 comment: