Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

home sweet home

I love coming home.


My dad was waiting for me at the airport, like always. I don't know if I know anybody more dependable than my dad is. My dog, who is now blind, still recognizes me by my voice and smell. I've arm-wrestled with my little brother on multiple occasions. He won the first time--and then it was a tie. I'm not sure how that thirteen-year-old got to be as tall as I am, but he is. My little sister has made me an entire ensemble of cotton ball jewelry, which I wear proudly, as well as colored me countless pictures, written me lots of unintelligible notes, and has consistently stuck to my side almost the entire time I've been home. The pantry is full of delicious food and I've eaten my weight in my mom's egg rolls. I'm going with my dad to pick up Jon from U-Mich on Thursday.


I went to Holland today for a dentist and orthodontist appointment. In between appointments, I took a walk around downtown Holland.


That place was magical when I was a kid. It still is, but in a different way. It's changed a bit.  Or maybe I've changed a bit.


Anyways, just walking around that place made me smile. So many great memories. I went into JP's, ordered myself a mug of their famous hot chocolate, a cup of corn chowder, and took it to the bar at the window. I people watched, just thought, and wrote a bit. I took my own sweet tme.


It's been a while since I've been able to do that. At school, I usually have so much going on that I'm always multi-tasking or in a hurry. I feel like the greatest thing about being home is time. Time with the ones I love most and time to rejuvenate myself. 


The simple joys of being home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment