Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Holy Toledo

Last Saturday, we visited Toledo. Oh. my. goodness. This is the most enchantingly beautiful city I have ever seen. I absolutely love it. Forget going to Paris on your honeymoon—go to Toledo. We began our day there with a tour. Usually, I don’t really like tours…but everything we saw was so incredible that it wasn’t boring at all.  And after the tour we had about two and a half hours to wonder about the city. Oh, love. You know how usually the wow-factor decreases exponentially after you’ve looked around for a bit? Well, in Toledo, it doesn’t. 

Well, I’ll quit with the raving and let the pictures speak for themselves. 

Well, here you've got part of the bus window...and some of the many
stairs to get to the city. Thankfully, there's also a escalator...on the other side.
Guess what the Americans used?

Toledo is right next to a river...lots of mountainous terrain. And
the city is behind me.
I read a book on medieval architecture on the plane to Spain...
the book was a bit boring. But since, then architecture has been
fascinating! This is part of a synagogue from the 12th century.

Part of our group maneuvering our
way through the streets.
Bethany and Laura trying to decide which road to take.
One of the shopkeepers--he was way nice.
We looked through all his wares and had about a 15
minute convo in espanol.
Trying Marzipan. Toledo is famous for it.
It kind of kind of reminded me of linzer cookies. I thought
it was delicious, but it made Laura sick. :/
Outside of the walls of Toledo.
Classes here aren't too bad. It's a little harder for me to understand the teachers though. 

Well, time to go home for almuerzo...to be honest, Laura and I are hoping it is something other than fish soup. :) 

3 comments:

  1. Linzer cookies!!! Yum! Have you seen any architecture from...Galdi was it? Lemme know if you ever see that painting of that one guy getting sliced in half

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous of you right now. You should have tortillas for lunch. mmm

    ReplyDelete