Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Rather Sad Story

Well, let's just get the rather sad story out of the way. Here it is, in all its glory.

Thursday night:
I was thrilled about having finished finals. I was also thrilled that I finally had time to pick up my tickets. What tickets? Well, a couple weeks earlier, my friend had told me that she had two free tickets to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir/David Archuleta concert Friday night. Would I like them? Well, of COURSE I'd like them. And thank you, thank you, thank you. I picked the tickets up (still in the envelope) and stuffed them in my wallet. My roommate and I were SO excited. In fact, Haley spent all night studying so she could take her exam early on Friday so we'd have plenty of time to get to Salt Lake.

Friday afternoon:
I did a couple errands, Haley took her exam, we rushed home, cleaned up a bit, and got a ride with someone to Salt Lake City at two. Since we were so early, we did some shopping at Gateway (an outdoors mall). It was SO pretty there. And the lights were gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.


Friday night:
We were waiting in line to get into the conference center. I dug the tickets out of my purse and handed one to Haley. We finally got to the point where we had to walk through the metal detectors. The metal detector went off as Haley was walking through it and so we stopped. The elderly man who was looking at our tickets looked at Haley, and said, "You can't go in."
I looked at him. Ha....ha? You're kidding... right? 
I seriously thought he was joking. So the metal detector went off...Haley could find whatever was causing the problem and we could resolve that problem.
Then he pointed at the tickets. "They're for the wrong day."
"No way..." I looked. They were for Thursday night. I am an idiot. Why didn't I look at the tickets before now?
I couldn't believe it. We walked away. The standby line was huge...and it was cold. Haley and I decided we would just go home.
We took the train from Salt Lake City to Sandy. Then we took the bus from Sandy to Provo. It was a first time experience of two and a half hours--an adventure of public transportation--that did not completely make up for missing the concert, but was an adventure nonetheless. We figured out how to buy tickets, waited by the bus stop for twenty minutes in the snow, tried to avoid questionable characters, found the correct bus route, and arrived at home safe and sound. :)
Were we still a bit sad?
Rather so.

No comments:

Post a Comment