Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Come, my friends.

You know what I really love right now? I really love this.

Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be that we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
-Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Oh man. It's just so beautiful.

I'm not going to wax all philosophical on it right now because it's 12:30, and somehow I agreed to go work out at 6:00 in the morning. I don't know how that happened, but it's happening.

But as a quick update on life, it's going so well! I'm about to start training to become a CASA (court appointed special advocate) for abused/neglected kids, so that will make my weeks extra super duper busy. Nonetheless, I'm so pumped. I miss that kind of thing. School is keeping me on my toes as always. I'm a NDFS251 TA this semester--it's my second time teaching the class, so it's a breeze and I actually really enjoy it. I spend lots of nights studying, but somehow, I'm finding time for the good stuff too this semester. We have our three-day weekend this weekend and a group of friends and I are headed down to Vegas! It should be a great time. Two other cool things about this semester: 1) I did a doughnut for the first time in an empty parking lot, and 2) I'm learning how to drive a stick-shift. Kind of. Expanding my horizons everyday, I'm telling you.

2 comments:

  1. such a BEAUTIFUL poem! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved those lines. I sang with the men's chorus as a freshman and we sang a way cool song with those lines as the lyrics. Also Tennyson kicks butt. hard.

    ReplyDelete